Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Blueberry-Lemon Bars {Paleo}

My friend E is not so much a sweets girl. When she asked me to make a dessert for her  Going Away party a few weekends ago I found an amazing sounding, paleo friendly, recipe for Bacon Chocolate chip cookies. As I was standing in the aisle at Whole Foods trying to decide how much more coconut flour I needed I realized the recipe I had found only made 8 cookies. After some panicked googling and found these delicious Blueberry-Lemon bars on The Spunky Coconut.



They weren't as sweet as I was expecting, but as E pointed out, they would be PERFECT for a breakfast. I added twice as many blueberries and probably would have done the same for lemon juice in addition to some zest. This also all came together nicely in my new blender so clean up was very easy! My adapted recipe:

Blueberry Lemon Bars {Paleo Friendly}
3/4 cup of Coconut Flour 
1/2 cup of Tapioca Starch
 1/2 cup of Shortening + 1 tbsp
 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
 1/2 cup of  Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tbsp of  Fresh Lemon Zest
 1 tbsp Baking Powder
 1/4 tsp  of Salt 
3/4 cup of Applesauce 
2 cups of Blueberries

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a square baking pan with parchment paper
  2. In a blender, mixer or food processor, mix together the coconut flour, tapioca starch, shortening, sugar, salt, baking powder, lemon juice, lemon zest and applesauce until it forms a thick dough
  3. Pour dough into a mixing bowl & fold in the blueberries
  4. Place dough into the baking pan and press evenly into the pan
  5. Bake for 43-45 minutes
  6. After the bars cool, sprinkle the top with a pinch of granulated or powered sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment